Video identification is a method of online identification in which a video agent verifies and confirms a person’s identity via video conferencing. A user can perform video identification from the comfort of his or her own home, for example, to become eligible for electronic signature within a few minutes. Video identification has been used in the banking environment for several years. This guide provides you with the important facts about the video identification process.
The advantages of video identification
The disadvantages of video identification
How video identification works
Procedure and duration of the video identification
- As a customer, you will receive a link from one of our partners that will redirect you to the portal of the identification provider so that you can start the video identification and identify and register for the electronic signature.
- Now you will be connected to a video agent who will perform the verification of your identity. In the video call, the agent verifies the security features by giving you instructions on how to move your ID document in the webcam. This allows the agent to confirm your “liveness” and rule out a “fake video”.
- To confirm your captured identity data by the agent, you will receive an SMS from the identification provider that you enter in the mask during the video call.
The entire process of video identification takes about 5 minutes on the shelf.
Requirements for a successful video identification
For the successful execution of the video identification online, a valid identification document is required. This can be either a valid identity card (ID card) or passport. In addition, you as a customer need a certain basic technical equipment. This includes:
- A computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone with microphone and webcam. The webcam can either be integrated in the device or connected externally,
- a good and stable internet connection,
- an updated version of the Internet browser or current mobile app version provided by the identification provider.
Application areas for video identification
Digitale Eröffnung eines Bankkontos
According to the requirements of the Money Laundering Act, a person must be identified in order to open a banking account. In the past, this was done in person at the bank branch. Today, various online and direct banks already offer video identification for their customers.
By integrating our Smart Registration Service into your application in the banking & finance environment, you can offer your end customers video identification and thus enable digital onboarding without media disruption.
Identifikation für elektronische Signatur
In certain industries, such as finance or insurance, there are very high regulatory requirements, which means that contracts are often still signed by hand. Meanwhile, the handwritten signature on paper can be mapped in the digital space with the help of the qualified electronic signature (QES). As a result of the steadily growing digitization of contract processing in the company, the QES in such a process removes the final hurdle of a legally secure and unambiguous submission of the declaration of intent.
According to the legal requirements (e.g. EU Regulation eIDAS), a person must be identified once in order to receive and use a QES. For this purpose, video identification can be used in addition to other innovative online identification methods.
How secure is video identification?
Video identification is a secure way to confirm identity data online. Video identification service providers comply with regulatory and security standards and are regularly audited on these. One of these requirements includes that online communication between the person being identified and the video agent via the browser must be encrypted throughout and the connection must be at least 2,048 bits. Data protection also plays a crucial role. Thus, only the data that is necessary for establishing the identity of a person and is based on a respective legal basis (e.g. Money Laundering Act, Bafin standards, FINMA regulations (in Switzerland), etc.) is collected or used during video identification.
In parallel, users of video identification are also required to ensure certain security measures on the end devices they use. This can keep the risk of data misuse or hacking attacks very low. The following measures can be implemented by users for secure video identification of a person:
- Sufficient virus protection on the end device (PC, laptop, smartphone or tablet).
- Performing regular security or browser updates
- General security precautions; e.g. the use of a secure password or device pins.